Custom Search

Monday, July 28, 2008

- Smoked Trout Sandwich

Smoked Trout Sandwich

I know this may sound odd but the first dish I created utilizing my new smoker was a sandwich. I have said it before and I will say it again, I am a huge fan of the sandwich. I started out by smoking some fresh Carolina trout in the smoker. I used a 50/50 blend of pecan and hickory wood for the process, keeping the temperature below 180 F. I don’t know the exact time it took to smoke, I appologize, I was simply to excited to be finally using the new smoker to record it all. I pulled the trout filets just as the albumin (the white stuff that comes out of fish as it is cooked, there is a more detailed definition of it of course but for our discussion I feel that is suficiant) started to leek out. The results were fantastic. The fish was cooked through but just to the point of being cooked. In a normal setting I would not have cooked the filets for so long but I was thinking of eating the fish for breakfast and in that wanted to cook it completely so I could store it for a longer period of time. The flavor of smoke was light enough that it did not over power the flavor of the fish but was the second most dominate flavor. After smoking it I just had to have some to eat. The first thing that came to mind was toast and roasted red peppers. So a sandwich it became. I used the previously mentioned ingredients along with some baby arugula, lemon oil, capers, and fresh made mayonnaise.

No comments: